Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Thank God I'm a Country Girl

So you know the name "Daryl"?  Well, if you live in the country you say it with a twang and it comes out as "Derl", right?  Well my plumber is actually named "Derl".  His parents must have been so country that they just spelled that shit out phonetically.  I love it!  He's a really sweet guy though.  Takes his job very seriously and explains things to me very thoroughly.  We're going shopping together today at Home Depot.  That's a site to see.  I went shopping with my fishing buddy electrician last week.  I love how, as a girl, I can go from stilettos and mini skirt to steel toed boots and ripped up jeans.....and still look great in both, I might add!  I sometimes wear the stilettos to Home Depot just for fun though.  And then I load that wood all up in my truck myself, stilettos and all.  It's too funny to watch all the men in the parking lot.  Some of them are clearly ready to leave but they stay in their trucks just to watch the show.  If only I knew at a younger age how much power woman hold in this world....



I love this old house so much.  There are always new discoveries - some good, some bad.  For example, when we pulled up the bathroom floor a couple of days ago we realized it's a miracle that whoever sat in the tub last didn't fall through the floor and end up in the middle of the kitchen. 
Just kidding.....


We've since re-enforced the whole floor and made it way more structurally stable.  And we've made a new layout plan for the bathroom at least 3 times now but I think we've hit the jackpot.  This new layout will make it easier for the plumber (which saves me money) and will accommodate the larger of the two pedestal tubs I have.  The good find occurred  today after we ( and by "we" I actually mean my contractor....I'm still in a skirt as we speak) tore down moldy drywall where the kitchen shower used to be and found an old staircase.  The house must have had an addition added to it but surely not long after it was originally built because the outside stucco and inside construction all match.  It's hard to say if it was a fire escape or an inside staircase but I love it.  I want to keep it and turn into shelves or something.  I'm thinking about it.  I have to keep it.  I don't want to cover it up with drywall.  It's way too unique and full of character to cover up.  God knows how long it's been hidden behind the wall.  Decades, I'm sure.  They are where I plan to put the main floor laundry room so I think shelving is appropriate.  But I may come up with a more creative idea over time. 

 

Anyway, things are progressing well.  There is still more demolition to be done but at least we are also starting to build things too.  I made my first mortgage payment yesterday which is a stark reminder that I better get moving.  I don't have time, or money, to sit around.  Off to Home Depot with Derl now....

1 comment:

  1. Great read Nat. Keep it up. I envy you, having the energy to do these things. Hope it all comes back one hundred fold because you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete