Saturday, August 9, 2014

All Coming Together

I just walked in my sock feet on the newly varnished hardwood floor.  It felt like home.  I love that house.  I knew I loved it the minute I walked in the door for the very first time.  It has it's imperfections but that's what makes it charming.  It's old.  What do you expect?

The upstairs is fully painted, floors are finished, light fixtures installed.  Now that the floors are done the baseboards can go on next week and the bathroom fixtures installed then the upstairs will be complete.  The downstairs....well, that's another story.  Actually, it's getting there.  The kitchen has been planned but I have changed my mind 20 times in the past week.  I think I have it finalized now so I need to get the cabinets this week and book the install asap.  Here is the proposed plan:




Tons of cupboard space and a built in island for everyday eating.  There is a formal dining room but if I lived there I would use it for more living space.  That's just me.  I'm not much for formal dining.  Besides, once the second floor balcony is ready that's where I'd be eating every night!

I'm still on budget but that second floor balcony that I speak of may put me over.  The materials won't be too much but the labour will be.  But damn do I love porches and balconies.  Unfortunately, we can't use them for very many months in Canada but that's what makes them so wonderful I guess.  I never take my current front porch for granted.  It triples as my dining table, my office and my hang out spot....

Dining Table....

Office.....

Hang out spot......
 
So the porch and second story balcony are a must...even if it puts me over budget by a bit. 
 
 
I have decided I will move into the house on September 1st.  With all of my furniture and home decor in there it should show really well.  I will list it in September but only for a month.  If it does not sell I will take it off the market and list it April 1st, 2015 at the first sign of spring.  At this time, nothing is moving on the market.  There have been several price reductions in the past month and I would rather live there for the winter than reduce my price by $10,000-$30,000.  It's a big pain in the butt to move only to move back a few months later and I am having a little trouble finding someone to rent my current house due to the indeterminate length of the lease.  If I sell the flip house I need to move back home again so I have a clause that states I can give 30 days notice at anytime and my tenant will have to vacate the premise.  Not ideal for most people but I'm hoping for a young professional here short term on business perhaps. 
 
Moving is not stressful for me though.  I actually like it.  Most people loathe it.  But I thrive on change.  Also something most people loathe.  In fact, I move so often that just today I was walking down Richmond Rd and one of the guys who moved me last time passed me on the road, recognized me and stopped to chat.  I always request the same moving guys from Adam's Moving - JD, Mitch, Leo and/or Leo's son.  These guys crack me up.  Actually, I think I crack them up.  I am unforgettable because I have a pole in my house.  When you move a woman with a pole you don't forget! 

No comments:

Post a Comment