Saturday, April 9, 2011

Flip #1 - The Plan

OK, so here is my plan for my first flip.  Renovations will start May 2, 2011 and I am hoping they take 2 weeks, max!  Here's what I'll be doing:

  • Change all baseboards and window/door casings
  • Sandblast old heater vents (they have such character - house was built in 1954) and re-paint
  • All doors have been updated to colonial doors except for 2 - replace 2 doors
  • Change all interior door hardware (x 12 doors)
  • Install 3 shelves in main bathroom & perhaps change light fixture
  • Remove wallpaper in front entrance, paint and install coat rack
  • Replace patio door
  • Gut the entire kitchen - replace cabinets, sink, counter top, floor, and tear tiles off the walls and re-drywall, move fridge to new location may need electrical outlet installed
  • Add crown moulding to living room/dining room
  • Carpet runner for basement stairs
  • Carpet basement floor over existing ceramic tile
  • Replace basement window
  • Second bathroom - not sure yet what to do with it but let's say new bath wall tub surround and rip off some tiles from the wall and re-drywall, new mirror and new light fixture
  • Paint entire interior of house
  • Paint exterior front door and small metal roof at front step/porch
  • Plant some flowers/plants in 2 front flower beds and clean up yard
My budget - $12,500.  I know that seems low but my brother and I are a team.  He owns a construction company, TL Construction, and his labour is almost free (maybe a case of beer and a few meals) and for his guys I pay his costs.  All of the supplies we source together and see what kind of deals we can get.  For example, I picked up some tiles off Kijiji last weekend for $325.  A couple had bought them for their house and then changed their minds.  The tile was custom ordered so they couldn't return it.  I got enough tile for 2 flips.  I will use it for the kitchen in this house and will have tons left over for another project in the future.  If I had bought that tile at the store it would have been 3x that.

This house is not a true flip because I have owned it for a year and a half.  I have been renting it out.  In order to show exactly how much profit is made on this flip I want to track every expense possible.  Since I have owned the house for a while I have some starting figures.


Purchase Price                            185,000
Painting of whole house                    2,075
GenWorth Mortgage Insurance         4,200
Repairs & Maintenance                       629
House Insurance to date                    600
House Inspection                              315
Mortgage Interest to date                5,250
Duct Cleaning                                    314
Utilities & Taxes to date                   4,401
Pest Control                                       282
Electrical work                                    325
Initial Renovation Supplies                  995
Used Washer/Dryer                            175
 Legal fees + Land Transfer             3,152     
Used Stove                                       400
       TOTAL =         $211,265.00                         


That is the true cost of my house so far, almost to the penny.  I am extremely organized and keep all receipts. I think this is key to being a successful house flipper.  As you can see all of these small costs really add up.  Since I have been renting the house I have also recouped some money.  $19,550 to be exact.
THE PLAN
I plan to sell the house for $260,000.  I have another 12,000 to spend on renovations and 15,000 on realtor/legal fees totalling 27,000. 
DO THE MATH
Initial Costs         211,265
Selling Costs         27,000 (Renos, realty, legal)
Total                   238,265

I will have spent 238,265 but that was offset by the rental income I earned of almost $20,000.  That leaves me at $218,265.  So I will sell the house for $260,000 and walk with about $41,000 (+ the mortgage amount of $15,000 I already paid).
You might be thinking that it's hardly worth it.  Well, I don't think so at all.  You see I will have about $55,000 at the end of the day and that leaves me with a nice chunk of money to try another flip and make more money.  This is a small scale first flip.  Didn't cost me much; not a huge risk; won't bankrupt me if it doesn't work out as planned.....Wow, that doesn't sound like me.  I usually jump in both feet without calculating the risk.  Perhaps I am finally learning :)
Stay tuned for the before pictures coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment