Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Reno Day 1 - 1234 Summerville Ave.

So we started the renovations yesterday.  Upon arrival to the house it was clear that my tenants had left behind a really nice mess for me to clean up.  And that dog they apparently didn't have shit all over the deck, in the flower boxes and best of all, on the basement floor.  We started with the fun part - demolition.  It's not like on TV though.  You can't just take a jack hammer to things and start ripping :)  For example, when removing the old baseboards we first had to cut along the edges with a knife to ensure the paint wouldn't rip off the walls and require additional plastering.  All of the kitchen cabinets came out and the back splash and granite floor tiles are next to go.

I decided to do a surface clean of the bathroom fixtures to make sure everything was salvageable.  I discovered a leak when the main bath sink drains.  It's an easy fix but I am not sure how long it's been going on for and I am 100% sure my tenants used it anyway leaving water to run onto the floor and in under the tile.  I can't see any serious water damage so far.  I think it's going to be okay. 

I know I shouldn't be, but I am astounded at how some people live.  I was wondering why the bathtubs were in such good shape when the rest of the house looked like a tornado went through it.  It turns out that the hot water/gas had been cut off due to non-payment so they obviously were not showering there.....and perhaps not showering anywhere.  It's difficult to clean with no hot water so I left it that.

My brother and I made our first real trip to Home Depot and bought all of the baseboards, 1/4 round and a few other small items like a new shower curtain rod, new bathroom light fixtures, a bathroom mirror, French doors to replace the existing patio door, and some cleaning supplies.  We dropped it all off at the house and called it a day.

I called my flooring guy to get a price on floor for the family room and the laundry room.  Up until yesterday that's all I knew about him - his name is Joe and he is a flooring guy.  I don't know the name of his company (or if he even has a company name), I don't know his last name, and I don't know where his shop is.  I did however find out that he has a Cuban girlfriend whom he visits every 10 weeks.  Before they met, she had no running water and dirt floors in her home.  Since floors are his forte, he hooked her up with some nice floors and some running water and he is now her hero.  He missed his last visit to her but he will make up for it on her birthday visit next month...so he tells me.  The story on Joe is this - he has been installing carpet/flooring for what might as well be 100 years.  I don't think he's ever done anything else.  He drives a beat up old white van and he has been in his share of trouble over the years.  From what I've heard he was beaten almost to death 7 years ago in a bar.  He survived but had to get major reconstructive surgery on his face and he was off for 2 years before he was fully recovered.  His thick black hair and clear blue eyes tell a tale of the past and I bet he was handsome back in the day. His nick name is "Red Neck Joe" but you can tell he is just a big softy.  He is a really nice guy and he always treats me with the utmost respect.  He took a look at my basement family room and my laundry room and quoted $1000....cash!  It's a deal.  Before he left he thanked me again for the natural remedies I gave him for his sore knee......6 YEARS AGO!!!!  Wow, I barely even remembered that until he mentioned it.  Now that is a true demonstration of how sweet this guy is.  If you need vinyl flooring, carpet or tile call Joe.  I do know his phone number, but that's about all I can tell you.

During the past few weeks leading up to today I have been shopping around for some deals.  Here is what I have spent to date, including today:
  • 37 boxes of custom ordered ceramic tile from a renovation left over on Kijiji.ca = $325
  • 3 light fixtures, a huge bag of decorative electric outlets, light switches and plate covers, a bag of brushed silver kitchen cabinet hardware, and a cold air return vent.  All brand new renovation left overs on Kijiji.ca = $165
  • Oak spindles and railings + an oak fireplace mantle from a renovation left over on kijiji.ca = $150
  • Today's Home Depot bill = $1854.54
TOTAL = $2494.54










No comments:

Post a Comment