Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Where Are We At?

Wow, things have been progressing at warp speed these last few days!  I have hired on two new guys and they are totally awesome!  I think the first day they came to work they were a little sceptical of this "skinny chick with pink hair" as the new foreman on the job :)  But we all get along great.  The "guys" - we can call them Wam and Bam - are a father and son team and they are fabulous workers.  They can do just about anything and they do things well.  I have never seen one standing around watching the other.  They are both always busy getting things done.  We have developed a nice working relationship over the past week.  They tell me what supplies they need, I go get them and then they attempt to tease me when I boast about how I bought all of the right "thingys" as they requested.  My brother worked all day Saturday to catch up and we are right on schedule with the renovations as of today.

So what have we done?  Let me give you a room by room breakdown starting at the top of the house and working our way down.

Main Bathroom - we (meaning Wam and Bam) have fixed a leaky sink, replaced the toilet seat (easier to buy a new on than to clean the old one in the state that it was in - yuck!), replaced the shower curtain rod, replaced the faucet with a new shiny one, installed a new light fixture, and installed baseboards. 

Left to do: Paint it, clean it and get a blind for the window

Bedroom One & Two - replaced the baseboards with new trim and painted

Bedroom Three - replaced the light fixture and painted

Left to do: Window coverings

Hallway - painted, cleaned the light fixture

Left to do: Install a new hand rail and secure the banister a little tighter/sturdier

Main entrance - replaced the light fixture and trim

Left to do: peel of wall paper and paint, add an entrance matt, and clean

Living Room/Dining Room - replaced the patio door with new French doors, installed crown moulding, replaced the old baseboards/trim with new

Left to do: Paint it, clean it, shine the hardwood, hang new light fixture in the dining room, and add window coverings

Kitchen - ripped out everything!  Replaced the ugly granite floor tiles with simple, clean ceramic tile and replaced the old baseboards

Left to do: Paint it, clean it and install new custom cabinets and counter top

I am using a new company called Focus Kitchen & Bath Co.  They gave me a good price so I am hoping they follow through with the timeline I gave them.  I asked for custom cabinets to be ready in 2 weeks....we'll see!  Check them out at http://www.focuskitchenandbathco.com/

Basement -   I realized I forgot to take "before" pictures of the basement.  That's too bad because it was probably the worst space in the house.  The bathroom was awful looking, the laundry room was certainly not a place where anything could get clean and the family room was definitely not fit for a family!  We are going to carpet the family room to give it a warmer feeling, we will be replacing all of the trim and tiling the laundry room.  We have created a nice closet with the extra space and put a bifold door on it.  Great for storage.

Second bath - "We" have ripped off some ugly mirrors and woodwork off the walls and re-drywalled, replaced the faucet, mounted a new mirror with 2 new light fixutres, replaced the old towel and toilet paper rack with new ones and fixed the shower curtain rod.

Left to do: Paint it, clean it and hang a new shower curtain.

The painters started today and they will be done by Friday (I hope).  After that, it's just a few small things and A LOT of cleaning.  That's where I come in.  Last week I couldn't stand the clutter of junk anymore so I called "Junk That Funk" http://www.junkthatfunk.com/ to take away some of the reno materials and crap left behind by my tenants.  They were awesome.  They came the same day I called and they took away everything.  They quoted me $219 + HST but I bargained them down to $200 taxes in and we called it a day :)  Today on the Kijiji Deal of the Day was a coupon for $179 worth of junk removal for $69.  I bought it and I will have the boys back tomorrow to get rid of the rest of the reno scraps.  Smokin' deal!

I am SO tired.  Did I mention I have an 8 month old baby.....and a 5 year old?!?!?!  I love the renos but I am too tired at night to blog about it :(  I will take some pics tomorrow and then again just before listing.  Because of the upcoming long weekend I am going to delay my listing until Wednesday May 25th.  This gives me more time to clean I guess :)

I am totally having a blast though....I don't find it stressful at all and I love the transformation.  I will certainly do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment